September 6, 2023
Is Every Commercial Office Property in Trouble?
August 23, 2023 | The Accordant Team
Why Not All Office Space Is Created Equal
Midway through 2023, media coverage of the challenges many commercial office real estate owners are confronting has reached a feverish level. One may wonder if the sector’s current low vacancy rates and refinancing requirements will ultimately bring down our entire economy. We think not.
It’s important for potential individual investors to recognize that not all commercial office real estate is created equal. For example, one might think two class-A office buildings* in a major metropolitan location would provide similar investment returns. But variables that include acquisition dates, purchase amounts, loan terms, tenant strength, rent rolls, and projected hold times can influence a property’s performance and investment returns.
If you have clients who are considering a private real estate allocation, it’s helpful that they understand the investment profiles and strategies of the underlying property or properties. For office properties today, investment managers that pursue a conservative “core” strategy with low loan-to-value ratios and that have long weighted average fixed lease terms may carry significantly lower risk than other properties that are more opportunistic.
- Cantor Fitzgerald and Silverstein Properties Announce Joint Venture Partnership with Collins Capital Partners and Kaufman Jacobs and Closing of Construction Financing for Multifamily Opportunity Zone Development in Chesterfield County, VA
- Cultivating Wealth via Specialty Farmland
- Shopoff Sells Del Taco-Anchored Retail Center in Fullerton
- Urban Catalyst Floats Housing Instead Of Offices At Icon/Echo
- ExchangeRight’s Essential Income REIT Acquires $84 Million Portfolio
- ADISA Announces Winners of its ACE, Distinguished Service and President’s Awards
- 3 Ways to Improve Your Marketing Execution
- Clip: The Right Investment Manager is Crucial to Success
- Strategic Capital Fund Management Continues Its Expansion with Chief Financial Officer Hire
- Altigo Surpasses $2B in Transactions